Sunday, February 1, 2009

This one might be just about done, folks . . .

Last night, the Director's Guild of America held their annual awards ceremony at the Century Plaza hotel in Los Angeles. Not surprisingly, Danny Boyle won the Guild's award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film for Slumdog Millionaire. This is highly significant, because the winner of the Director's Guild award usually goes on to take the Best Director prize at the Academy Awards. There's no real reason to doubt that happening this year too, although I hear rumblings of a possible win for David Fincher for The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button. If that were to happen, it'd probably be in the event of a Best Picture/Best Director split with Slumdog Millionaire. While I'd still put my money on Boyle at this point, the Academy has shown a willingness to split those two awards frequently in the past several years.

I'll keep you posted on any breaking developments . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't get why they keep calling this film "a triumph for Bollywood" when the director himself is not even Indian.

Megan said...

Seriously Senor - I don't get that.

I agree that Slumdog is a lock. The award that's throwing me now is best actress - I normally look at the SAG's for that one, but there Kate wonf best supporting and Merril won best actress and in the Oscars they are against each other instead of in seprate categories.

Adam said...

Yeah, it's no triumph for Bollywood. I have mixed feelings about the whole musical number thingy in the end credits. Part of me is cool with it, and another part of me thinks it's lame.

As for Best Actress, I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm totally in Meryl's corner. She was INCREDIBLE in Doubt. You guys think Melissa Leo might have an outside shot?