Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Where No Man Has Gone Before


To Boldly Go...
Originally uploaded by Decepticreep
I for one am uber excited about Star Trek tomorrow, with the Imax ticket burning a hole in my pocket and waiting for 7 pm to roll around – but there are things being said about this movie that astound me. Reviews I didn’t think possible for a Star Trek movie. I thought I would share some of my favorites. I can only hope the movie lives up to the hype.

I personally am excited because Star Trek has always been so inaccessible and “geeky” to anyone not familiar with the franchise and I hope this movie breaks that away.


“It doesn’t matter if you’ve never seen ‘Star Trek’ because it’s self-contained and so rousing you may hardly be able to contain yourself.”
Gene Shalit TODAY

“This year’s ‘Iron Man’.”
Geoff Boucher LA TIMES

“Familiarity with the franchise is irrelevant. ‘Star Trek’ is exciting on its own terms.”
Todd McCarthy VARIETY

“No ‘Star Trek’ has ever been this thrilling.”
Harry Knowles AINT IT COOL NEWS

“’Star Trek’ feels like a frontier worth exploring again.”
Todd Hill STATEN ISLAND ADVANCE

“Even if you don't know the difference between a Vulcan and a Romulan, you'll love it!”
Steve Oldfield, WFOX

“This generation's ‘Star Wars.’”
Kirk Montgomery, KNBC

“Not only does this Star Trek proffer smart thrills and slick kicks, but it builds upon the original's history–from its very first pilot episode to Robert Wise's 1979 "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and beyond–while creating an entirely new future.”
Robert Wilonsky, VILLAGE VOICE

“Odd-number curse be gone. The most exhilarating Trek to date marks a new future for Kirk and co. If this can boldly go on to seek out ideas to match its speed and style, a franchise is reborn.”
Colin Kennedy, EMPIRE



For full reviews go to metacritic.com. Those of you that were disappointed in Wolverine, I don’t think Star Trek is going to disappoint.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard nothing but good things about it from most of my friends, although it tends to be a bit more contraversial with those of them who happen to be Trekkers.