Saturday, March 6, 2010

CALLING THE SHOT: OSCAR PREDICTIONS!

You’ll have to excuse us if it seems like we’re going a little crazy with the Oscar talk around here but you have to understand, if you’re a movie geek The Oscars is basically your Super Bowl. The last several months of awards shows have been the play-offs and tomorrow night is the big dance, so just consider all of this the pre-game coverage.

If you’re a movie geek of any kind and most of the time even if you’re not, you make predictions as to who will take home the statues and then compare them with your friends to see who gets bragging rights for the rest of the year. I’m no different but this time I’ve decided to call my shots for the entire world to see. Below you’ll find my picks for what I THINK will win and what I WANT to win. The bold, italicized titles are what I think will win and the normal, non-bold or italicized titles are what I hope will win. I can honestly say I’ve NEVER had as much difficulty figuring out what I think will win for some of these races or been so torn over what I hope will win which once again speaks to the brilliance of the Academy’s choices this year. In fact in the Best Adapted Screenplay category you’ll see I’m equally torn over wanting 3 different candidates to win just because they’re all so brilliant, yet completely different from one another. Right or wrong I’m standing by my predictions and I think tomorrow night is going to be one heck of an interesting and entertaining night so once again bravo to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, good on you!

WHAT I THINK WILL WIN / WHAT I WANT TO WIN:

BEST PICTURE:
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS / INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

BEST DIRECTOR:
KATHRYN BIGELOW / QUENTIN TARANTINO

BEST ACTOR:
JEFF BRIDGES / JEFF BRIDGES

BEST ACTRESS:
SANDRA BULLOCK / CAREY MULLIGAN

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
CHRISTOPH WALTZ / CHRISTOPH WALTZ

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
MO’NIQUE / ANNA KENDRICK

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
INGLORIOUS BASTERDS / INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
UP IN THE AIR / UP IN THE AIR or IN THE LOOP or DISTRICT 9

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE:
UP / UP

BEST ART DIRECTION:
AVATAR / AVATAR

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:
THE WHITE RIBBON / INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

BEST DOCUMENTARY:
THE COVE / THE COVE

BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT:
MUSIC BY PRUDENCE / MUSIC BY PRUDENCE

BEST FILM EDITING:
THE HURT LOCKER / INGLORIOUS BASTERDS

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM:
EL SECRETO DU SUS OJOS / EL SECRETO DE SUS OJOS

BEST MAKEUP:
IL DIVO / STAR TREK

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:
UP / UP

BEST ORIGINAL SONG:
THE WEARY KIND / DOWN IN NEW ORLEANS

BEST ANIMATED SHORT:
A MATTER OF LOAF AND DEATH / A MATTER OF LOAF AND DEATH

BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT:
THE NEW TENANTS / THE NEW TENANTS

BEST SOUND EDITING:
AVATAR / STAR TREK

BEST SOUND MIXING:
AVATAR / STAR TREK

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS:
AVATAR / AVATAR

No comments: