Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crosses fingers, hopes for the best

It's almost 1 AM and the Academy Award nominations are about 6 1/2 hours away. For some reason, I felt like an 11th hour post to make some predictions. Here's what I think you can expect in the Best Picture and Best Director categories.

Best Picture: Avatar, District 9, An Education, The Hangover, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds, Precious, Star Trek, Up, & Up in the Air. Possible dark horse(s): Invictus and maybe even The Blind Side.

Best Director: James Cameron, Kathryn Bigelow, Quentin Tarantino, Lee Daniels, & Jason Reitman. You can bet money on those picks.

I think there's a definite possibility Zoe Saldana (Avatar) might get the very first acting nomination for a character created entirely using VFX. Here's hoping that Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air) gets a nod too.

Now, let's see what happens . . .

1 comment:

Megan said...

You were pretty accurate on your preditions for Best Bicture. I am a little sad that Crazy Heart didn't snag a surprise nom for Best Picture, but I am very excited Maggie Gyllenhaal got a surprise nomination for Best Supporting Actress.

I'm also a bit torn that Up got nominated for animated feature and Best Picture. I tend not to like it when films get two "best picture" nom's like that. I was last upset when Life is Beautiful pulled that off in Best Foreign & Best Picture. But of course, I didn't like Life is Beautiful.

I have seen 6 of 10 nominees though, so I only have to try ad find 4 and the few otheres I really want to see!